Tuesday 9 October 2012

Ash fishery, hard lake again, second shot, 2 fish out.

Second time around at Ash, start of October, fishing the hard lake again to find one of the big ones. Did a 10 hour day session this time, fishing two methods, on the top and on the bottom. 2 fish banked one lost.

I turned up at the lake at around 7ish, autumn just kicking in. I had nice low pressure, abit of wind. I pitched up opposite to where I did last time, with the wind right in my face. I positioned myself in a spot where I had Lilly's on my right for surface fishing if I got the chance and also had an open water, Lilly and margin spot for my other rods. After pre-baiting I got set up and cast in, was very confident with this session. My approach was to spod 2 areas with a mix I made up prior to leaving home. This consisted of hemp, sweetcorn, crushed boilies, strong glug's, salt, chilli extract and a small amount of ground bait powder to hold it together in the spod. The lake isn't very big and I was only there for the day so I only put out about 4 spods on each of the two rods that were at features, the margin and the Lilly's. My open water rod had just one spod and 2 handfuls of free boilies. Once I was baited up I checked the Lilly's where I was hoping to intercept a few carp feeding off the surface. At this point I had already got 2 or 3 carp confidently feeding, 2 were small, pushing double, but the other was a lot larger. Knowing that if I had a fish it might spook the swim for the rest of the day, I had to be careful not to hook a small one. After a long 2 or 3 hours of watching, waiting and missing, I finally hooked one, and it was the larger one. The fish booted it across the lake taking alot of line. The rod I was using was a very light 8ft rod used for stuff like roach, small carp, small tench etc, but I have alot of faith in that the rod could deal with is so I had one of the best fights against a big carp as the rod was bent double.

The two chaps on another pond who had just turned up rushed around as they could tell it was nice, and on that small rod they were gagging to get involved. One of the guys kindly netted it and we checked it out. They took some shots, a video or two, I gave the fish the care it needed before slipping it back into the lake. 22lb it came out at, and that beat my previous carp from the lake, so 2 sessions and im currently getting better, or more lucky, one or the other. Here is a small video of the fish including the second Carp I had out.


After another hour or so, I hadnt had a touch on all 3 bottom rods, so I thought about changing tactics on one rod but keeping the other 2 in the same spot, just rebaited them. As I was preping my baiting needle with new bait ready to go onto the rod, it streamed off. I was so lucky to get the fish as within seconds I would have been reeling it in to change the bait. I jumped up, tackled the beast that took me on a huge run. Before I saw the fish I thought it was big as it took off, even more than the 22 I had earlier. Finally it topped the surface, this time it was a Common. Got the fish in and it came out at 12 lb 10 oz. Lovely mint condition common, angry aswell so it had its dorsal fin up for the camera! As the session went on I fell asleep for an hour, woke up, and it was time to pack down. So second session on the hard lake at Ash, the fish are getting bigger but still holding out for the monsters that live in there. Here are some photos of the fish.












No comments:

Post a Comment