Friday 8 February 2013

Update December

OK, its been some time since ive updated here due to time. But I have been out on the bank a few times and landed some stunning carp.
Just before Christmas I managed a session at a local water of only about 3/4 of an acre. Its a very old lake and only contains around 32 carp, all of which are some of the most stunning carp your will find. Biggest has topped at around 29lb in the past but due to it being moved from water to water it is now maxing out at about 24 maybe a bit more in spring. These carp are old and have seen a lot of rigs, they are very hard and the challenging lake makes it harder with minimal if any clear spots. It is very weedy and very natural, this lake is one of the finest in the south west holding some real gems in my opinion. I fished it a couple of times over Christmas both times finding a fish.


The first time I fished it it was a sunny but cold day, I only stayed for the day. I had the lake to myself along with the rest of the ponds at the venue. I set up on the specimen lake and fishing the pools for smaller, but just as nice carp while waiting for one of the gems to rip off. Upto around lunch time I used bottom baits or pops with no success, it was clear to me, as the water was crystal clear, that the Carp were cruising around and not on the bottom feeding.
Knowing this I made the tactical change to try and intercept a carp at the deph they were swimming using zigs, as I couldnt see any chance of getting them off the bottom unless it was night time.

After taking a couple of lovely Carp from the pools, and switching Zigs, it didnt take long before I had this smashing 18lb mirror. A proper old stunner and a known fish called Slpit Tail, for obvious reasons. Here is a short video showing exactly how I fished and some great footage of the fish. Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment